|Photo courtesy of Flickr user di_the-huntress under Creative Commons 3.0|
Today is my birthday and I am turning 27-years-old, so here is a wish for every candle I will blow out;
1) I wish Planned Parenthood would get MORE funding.
2) I wish all women had access to free birth control.
3) I wish for a woman President in my lifetime.
4) I wish for more positive movies on Lifetime.
5) I wish Justin Bieber really was a feminist.
6) I wish women were believed and rapists were punished.
7) I wish we all had access to affordable healthcare.
8) I wish healthcare was seen as a human right.
9) I wish the Hyde Amendment was overturned.
10) I wish Congress worked towards more reproductive freedom, instead of less.
11) I wish every dictator was overthrown.
12) I wish every month was Women's History Month.
13) I wish people knew who Alice Paul was.
14) I wish girls knew they were good at science and math.
15) I wish girls were safe from violence and exploitation.
17) I wish they would rebuild Haiti, starting with a women's center.
18) I wish they put real women on TV.
19) I wish they put real women in magazines.
20) I wish real women knew they were beautiful.
21) I wish aging was seen as an accomplishment, not a punishment.
22) I wish older women knew they were valuable to society.
23) I wish younger women knew they were valuable to society.
24) I wish a woman's worth rested between her ears, instead of between her legs.
25) I wish trafficking meant you were stuck in traffic, not trapped in hell.
26) I wish catcallers yelled actual compliments making women feel good, instead of scared.
27) I wish we could dance to the sound of empowerment, instead of degradation.
Today, I celebrate my birth with cake. Tomorrow, and everyday, I will celebrate my life-- just by living it.
Our mere presence on this Earth makes an immeasurable difference.
Never doubt your ability to create the change you want. Just keep wanting it.
And remember a movement is simply people moving-- so never stop moving.